Sunday, 10 June 2007

Aloha - Holiday postcard 1

Part 1 of my (almost) 3 week holiday to Hawaii and Canada...

My holiday started off on an inauspicious note... the Taxi that I had booked to take me to the airport did not turn up leaving me standing on the curb in the pouring rain wondering what I was going to do! I rang my friend Leonie hoping she would be able to come and pick me up, she was but traffic was terrible so luckily a cab came past and I managed to hail it and get to the airport with plenty of time!

10 hours after boarding the plane in Sydney I arrived in Honolulu and was shuttled, via every other hotel on Waikiki beach to my hotel - the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani (my Travel agent Josie managed to get me a very good deal otherwise I wouldn't have been staying in quite so good a set of digs! On checking in I was delighted to find out that I had been upgraded to an ocean view room, maybe getting a PhD is worth somehting after all!

I spent the afternoon on Waikiki Beach, swimming and working on my tan for the wedding before checking out the street stalls and stages of the Pan-Pacific festival (which coincided exactly with my visit).

On my second day on Oahu, I headed off to the free breakfast provided by the shuttle bus company - they were hoping you would sign up for one of their tours - which was pretty ordinary so I escaped and booked some snorkling gear and a seat on the bus and headed out to Hanauma Bay on a 'self-guided snorkling tour'. When we visited Oahu in 1990 I had really wanted to go snoerkling ontheis beach but the weather was bad and the sea was rough, on this day the sea was pancake calm and the sun shining - perfect! The snorkling was awesome - I spent a couple of hours investigating the the reef, the coral is pretty plain but the fish were brightly coloured and varied, especially if you got a bit further out - for some reason the majority of people in the water seemed to want to stay close to the shore in the cloudy water I was able to see a whole lot more just a bit further out!

After couple of days in the sun on the sand and an early morning swim I headed back to the airport for my flight to Vancouver via Seattle.



The view from my balcony at the Sheraton









Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head








Hanauma Bay










Bicycle parking rack in Honolulu

1 comment:

m said...

Welcome home Sweetheart, cant wait to catch up and hear all about it

xx