Wednesday, 14 January 2009

Winter wonderland (Part 1)!

Well, I'm finally back! What a great holiday, I took in Berlin, the UK, Montreal and Vancouver in just over 3 short weeks! Here is part 1 (Germany/UK) of my trip - stay tuned for part 2 (Canada)

Berlin was great! It was fantastic to catch up with Vanessa - who I've not seen for 4 years - and see many of the sites. We went to the major places - the Brandenburg Tor, the Reichstag, the Berliner Dom, Checkpoint Charlie, the Holocaust memorial, Potsdam and of course, lots and lots of Christmas markets. After Vanessa had headed home I also went to the Topography of Terrors (former site of the Gestapo headquatres) where there is a 150m long section of the Berlin wall still standing which is being preserved for historical reasons. I didn't make it to may of the galleries or museums, which I was a little disapointed about as they are supposed to be very good - but there is always next time, and I definitely plan to be back!


Xmas markets and a section of the Berlin wall


The Reichstag Dome and the Brandenburg Tor at night


The Berliner Dom


San Souci Palace -Potsdam and Modern art in Berlin

Next stop - the UK. I briefly visited friends in London and was treated to a very yummy slow cooked pheasant, chorizo and white bean casserol by Steven. We then went to the local pub - a 1950s joint complete with band before heading to Gosia and L's place for the night. Next morning they headed off to work and I went to the south coast to stay with my Aunt and Uncle. I had a lovely few days with them and my Nanna, who we managed to get out an about, mainly for coffees and lunches, but out none the less. We headed out to an arboretum day one, but the weather meant we didn't end up walking round the gronds - instead we just had lunch. The next day we did early Xmas with my Nanna at a fancy hotel - which was delicious. The staff made sure we felt properly spoilt by the end of our meal! It was a lovely few days but it flew by. On my back to the airport I detoured via Oxford, stopping to see Emilie for lunch on the way - didn't feel like 4 months since I'd last seen her, to visit K, E and meet Oliver who is now 8 weeks old and very cute. One of my fav, parts of the night was when he fell asleep on me. Janet and Stephen came over too for a semi-xmas dinner - roast chicken and veggies with plum pudding for desert. It was a lovely evening just hanging out with old friends, it was nice to just drop by.



Xmas lunch with my nanna and with friends in oxford

1 comment:

m said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time,
See you soon,
xx