On returning to Uruguay I had to change my brain from holiday mode to work mode as it was finally time for the real reason I had gone to South America - to attend a conference!
The conference was great, the topics were highly relevant to my area of research and I got to meet most of the head honchos in my field. I gave a talk and a poster presentation, both of which were well received, my boss even got feedback from some of the other lab heads at a conference he went to a couple of months later! It was a really enjoyable conference, the only down side was that most of the attendees were native Spanish or Portuguese speakers so that general chit chat around the place and a lot of the poster presentations weren't in English! This made it a little hard to eavesdrop on a poster presentation and to find a way into conversations! Luckily for me the local Uruguayan students befriended me on the first night so I had some people to chat to outside of the sessions!
I'd love to go back to South America and spend more time in some of the places I visited and see a whole lot more of the country. 10 days definitely wasn't enough! Its given me a taste and hopefully I'll be able to go back for another slice!
No comments:
Post a Comment