Friday, 19 September 2008

Birthday celebrations

My birthday celebrations started early this year, I think perhaps the older you get the longer you should spend celebrating your birthday!

They began on the 4th Sept with a beautiful bouquet of orchids delivered to work and a delicous dinner at Otto on Woolloomooloo Wharf with Paul, it was a lovely night (thank you!).

Last weekend I celebrated with my mum and dad, heading to the Art Gallery to see the Lost Buddhas exhibition followed by a walk through the Botanic Gardens, dinner in East Circular Quay and the Opera! We saw the Pearl Fishers by Bizet, which was beautifully performed with fabulous sets (as usual), it has a famous duet which I enjoyed but I'd have to say it wasn't my favourite aria or opera overall, but still a fantastic evening.

Last night I went to Rise with Marcelle to celebrate both our birthdays. It was good, but interesting. They had decided to do an Italian take on their usual Japanese degustation menu. They got it absolutely right with two of their dishes - a capaccio of garfish with balsamic and pannacotta with cumquats and blood orange granita, the rest did not have the lightness and subtlety of flavours they usually manage to produce. It was still a lovely evening, though if you're thinking of going to the Piano bar, forget it, the service was terrible after being seated we waited 15 min for them to bring us a menu, when it didn't arrive we left and went to the Victoria Room instead and had a great cocktail made based on our fruit choices by the bar man!

Today I've bought in a birthday cake to work - its the cake my mum always used to make for my birthdays as a kid - a Glace Cherry Madeira Cake and is a favourite of mine! Hope it tastes good!

Dad and Mum at the Opera House


Me at the Opera House


Glace Cherry Cake
Posted by Picasa

No comments: